Tuesday 17 March 2015

REBLOGGED: Notes From An Event Management Course: Staying Organised


In my last post I spoke of the importance of team work – a skill taught in the event management course I’m taking – that will reoccur throughout life, especially once you hit that milestone of full-time employment.

However, university not only encourages group work, it also encourages independent studying and self-discipline.

Those of you who may be in your first year of university will probably be thinking; “I have so much free time – to do what I want!” Although this may be the case, I have learnt over the years not to leave work to the last minute.

This might be dismissed as one of those ‘I’ve heard that before’ comments – I’ve felt this exact same way at some stage. However, developing efficient organisation skills to handle the consistent flow of work is a talent needed, especially in the third year.

That’s why in this post I’m covering 5 tips that have helped me handle my increase in workload throughout uni (especially in third year!) Although these are things that work for me, I am aware that you may work differently and already have your own style, if so – keep going! These may offer some inspiration either way:

1. Write lists!

If you know you have a busy week coming up, it can definitely help by jotting things down – anything and everything! Sometimes I even wake up in the night and remember things I need to do so I grab pen and scribble them down (they’re not always readable in the mornings, but it still helps me get back to sleep!)

2. Use your calendar or a reminder app

Nearly every phone out there has a calendar already on them, unless you still have a ‘brick’ phone… So, use it. It helps me to keep track of up -coming deadlines, appointments and social events. If not, there are free reminder apps you can download which also do the job.

3. The notes feature

Once again, this goes back to making lists and reminders. However, if you enjoy writing anyway and ever have a thought that pops into your head that you may want to use in the future; for your blog or uni work, it helps me to get the notes feature up on my iPhone and type away; whether I am inspired or maybe have things on my mind – it helps to let it out.

4. Regular breaks

When there are looming deadlines and you’re slaving away at the library remember to take regular breaks: walk around, drink water (normally coffee) and take banana fuel! The brain just can’t concentrate properly for hours at a time, so it’s really important to do this regularly or the quality of your work can suffer.

5. Reward yourself

Once you’ve submitted an assignment you worked really hard on, go and treat yourself! – arrange to go out and see friends; buy your favourite meal for dinner or have a movie day in your PJ's! Whatever it is, rewarding yourself gets you into a positive routine of working hard and having something to look forward to afterwards.

Summary

For many of you who are at university, as you know, prioritisation is crucial. There are things you may really want to go and do and by all means go and do them! But try not to fall behind because it will only make you stressed and that isn’t healthy.


Written by Harriet Adkin
3rd March 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment