Wednesday 25 February 2015

REBLOGGED: The Benefits of Attending University

Now this is one blog post I definitely agree with!!

University isn't for everyone. With the latest financial increase of student fees, I am not surprised that students are really considering another pathway to their goal. The increase in fees is such a hindrance for students today! As a university graduate, I thought I would offer my advice and share with you the 7 benefits of attending university. Now, I cannot lie. If the student fees were £9,000 a year when I was planning on going to university I am not 100% sure whether I would go. I am currently paying off my student debt and even though I am paying a much lower fee, it is still a large sum of money to be in debt with. My monthly payments make me want to cry every month but that's a decision I chose to make.

Apart from the money issue, there are loads of great reasons to attend university. It is always good to have the option and the decision shouldn't be made lightly!

So here are my 7 reasons to attend university..

1. EDUCATION
Okay, that sounds like the most boring title ever. However, I feel that I really enhanced my skills at university and I learnt how to become more organised and ready for the real world. My knowledge of the industry has vastly improved and I am a better worker for it.

2. FRIENDS
You make some amazing friends at university. I have a few very good friends and although once you leave you may not see them quite as often. You still have those memories and experience and well you can always plan a catch up!

3. SOCIAL LIFE
My social life was at a peak when I went to university. You experience so many crazy nights out that I don't think you would experience at any other point in your life. Of course you have to be careful and know your limits. But it's a great way to meet people and make new friends.

4. MOVING AWAY FROM HOME
I moved away from home to attend university. This isn't always the case and you need to really consider why you want to move in the first place. (Make sure you have a good reason to as living alone is expensive) I learnt how to take care of myself. After moving out of my parents house I found that I appreciated them so much more. You really don't know how much they do for you until you don't have them there. I was also able to grow as a person. I felt more independent and grown up.

5. STUDENT DISCOUNT
20% off at Topshop! This was probably my worst enemy when I was at university! Every time my student loan came through I would head over to Topshop! The student discount was crazy. You also receive discount in many high street stores it's like Christmas has come early.

6. TRAVEL
At my university I had the privileged of travelling all over. We had annual course trips to New York, Berlin and Tokyo. Although I couldn't really afford Tokyo or Berlin. I did visit New York for the first time and fell in LOVE! It was such an amazing experience for me and I felt so lucky! I have since been back and have made plans to travel there again later next year. It is just the most wonderful city.

7. WORK LIFE
My degree has helped me get a job! The qualifications that I received have really increase my chances of getting the career that I want. Like everything, having a well paid job and a successful career takes time. But it is something that I continue to strive towards.

There are so many incredible reasons to attend university. It really has to be the right decision for you! There are also negatives (money being one of them) university isn't cheap and it isn't a walk in the park. You have to work hard and get the most out of it.

There are quite a few things I would do differently. But I do not regret the experience. It made me who I am today.


Written by Roxanne
24th February 2015
Sprucenews

No comments:

Post a Comment