Tuesday 5 May 2015

REBLOGGED: Notes From An Event Management Course: Work Experience

Last month I spoke about independent studying – I offered some tips on how to manage deadlines and gave advice on how to keep going (without going insane). In this post I’d like to discuss the value of gaining work experience whilst studying at university.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m presuming most of you have had those days when you’ve thought “Ok, I need to get a job!”- believe me I have. This may have hit you when you’ve been strolling down the aisles of your favourite supermarket about to pick something up but then realising – “dammit, I’ve hit my weekly budget!” (sigh).

Having a part-time job which can be carried out alongside your studies can be a challenge, because you’ll have to be even more efficient in how you balance your study, social and work commitments. However, it not only helps with the weekly food shop – but it also offers valuable experience where you can develop and acquire new skills.

One way I look at it is: University is like reading a book – it teaches you the essentials. However, working onsite at an event offers you the chance to learn the mechanics of how an event works by putting your ‘book’ skills into action. This may be through volunteering at events such as festivals; or finding a part-time internship at an events company; or finding a flexible part-time job where you can work at a variety of events.

Over a year ago, I started working for a recruitment agency which provides hospitality staff to work at a variety of events around London. It has opened my eyes to the various aspects undertaken pre-event, during and post- event. Additionally, I’ve also met some amazing people on the way!

Events are like massive jigsaw puzzles – every aspect is crucial for a successful delivery. For example, in hospitality: it all begins by booking staff onto shifts; the event manager organises the staff on the day; tech and production staff are hired for set up; chefs are hired to make and prepare the food; this is then delivered to the guests by the staff – which is cleared away by the porters; then the event is packed up; and then everyone goes home!

From an aspiring event manager’s perspective, I also seek to learn from any mistakes made at the event. Have you ever been at an event, maybe even as a guest (lucky you!) and thought, ‘If I was running this event, I would…?’ I try and make a note of anything that has interested me – whether they are things I would do differently, or things I admired.

If you are a first year student or hoping to start at university in September, my advice would be:

Step 1:

  • Find a flexible job – your priority is your degree, so find something which fits around your timetable.
  • Volunteer – when you’re in first year you can afford to apply to more volunteer work as you have more time! Here, you can get a taste of the types of event you are most drawn to.
  • Internships – some people choose to carry out an internship alongside their studies. However, Summer or Winter internships also work well, because they don’t interrupt your studies.

Step 2:

  • Remember to keep track of every job you do – write up everything, from; improvements you would make, to inspirations, and to the skills you learnt from the experience.
  • Don’t neglect your CV – it’s an easy mistake to make, but you want it to be ready on hand if an opportunity comes your way, so keep it up to date.



Written by Harriet Adkin
31st March 2015
Eventbrite

No comments:

Post a Comment